Tuesday, September 28, 2010

VT 50 mile run Sept 26, 2010

I arrived on Saturday with Jack to Ascutney state park and set up camp, then we headed over to the base lodge at Mt. Ascutney for packet pick up. We kept an eye out for our Thursday night running buddies since they would all be there in one form or another. As soon as I saw Todd, my would be pacer for the last 9 miles, I asked him if he were pacing me or running. I already knew the answer but wanted to watch him squirm. He couldn't even make eye contact. There is no way he could only run 9 when there was a chance to do 50. Once he turned we started to work on John, who had come on the guise of spectator, but by the time he got there, he and Jen(would be pacer for Noreen) had opted for the 50 k. Why do the 50 k when you could do 50 miles we taunted. He placed a call to Jen who was on her way and soon we had them both crossing over to the dark side. We saw Serena, a chatty little spit fire who convinced us we all had to buy matching VT50 beanies. We all did in part because she's just too cute, and in part because we thrive on healthy peer pressure. We joke that we are like drug dealers who push exercise. The next plan was to do the pasta dinner. This was hard for me because I really wanted to hang with my running peeps, but I have a super sensitive stomach when I run and have to follow a strict regimen or all hell breaks loose. I declined the pasta dinner so I could have an early dinner of my pre-made, boring white rice, red potatoes and hardboiled eggs. Jack was a trooper and had boring dinner with me. It actually wasn't that bad.

I went to bed early because I knew I had a hard day ahead. I did not sleep well, the Lean-to was hard on my hips and my legs kept falling asleep. I had bad allergies all week and my nose was running, there was a highway near the camp ground and we could hear every 18 wheeler, a train went by at 3 AM blowing its horn at every street crossing, and wild turkeys were engaging in something that produced a lot of noise. I finally got up at 3:30 so I could get more tissues and make my oatmeal and coffee.
I had been taking my singulair and Advair for a week prior because my allergies were acting up and I did not want my breathing to be an issue. The breathing issues are very unpredictable, allergies set it off and allergy seasons are hit or miss. This fall is proving to be a hit. I packed a tissue in my pocket and hoped it would clear up once I started running.
We lined up at the start with our running buds, Bob, Todd, Serena, Ellie, Jen, Clem and John. We also ran into Jack Pilla who we were all surprised to see. Eric, Jenna, Noreen and Heather were all doing the 50k so they had a later start. Right before the start Andy AKA "good cop" from peak death race gave a shout out to my Jack.
Then we were off. 3.5 miles of road, it was similar to a marathon start. I was a bit surprised at the quick pace some took. I tried to stay back and not get caught up in it. Before I knew it we were at the first aid station. I noticed Ellie stopped so I grabbed an obligatory cup of water and kept going. I am not sure why I even took a sip of water, I was wearing my camel back, and I did not need anything.
I stayed with Jack for a while, and then we started to get separated. I slowed down to get back with him, but I had to let him go and run my own pace. I tried to focus on people ahead of me and maintain a steady pace. I think I was about 15 miles in when I noticed I was having trouble breathing going up the hills. I was walking them, but people were passing me walking. My lungs were trying to expand to get more oxygen and my camel back became too tight, so I would loosed it. Then I would crest the hill and start running and my breathing would return to normal, my lungs would relax and my camel back would be too big and flop all over, so I would tighten it again. After a few hills I saw a pattern. I was on my way up a hill and I heard someone talking about zero days, I knew this must be Jack talking about the Appalacian trail. He introduced me to his new friend (Tom?) who had a glorious red beard and had hiked both the AT and the LT. Soon after Ellie went by. I wished her good luck as I knew I would not see her again. I am usually pretty close to Ellie in a race, but she is much stronger at the second half.
I passed Jack on the down hill and told him to catch me again on the uphill. Later I caught up with John who was having a tough spot. He asked if this is where he was going to get chicked (beat by a girl) I told him not yet. We ran together for a while but I was having trouble on the up hills. I finally came to the conclusion that the only way I was going to make the cut off was to give in to the fact that I was not going to be able to breath. I used my inhaler(albuterol), slowed down and walked for a while, then walked the uphills slowly so as not to irritate my lungs too much, loosened the camel back, and pounded down the hills and flats while tightening my camel back. I had found a system that worked. I knew it wasn't pretty, wasn't conventional, and that my quads were going to take a beating using this method, but I could keep up. People that passed me on the uphill would get passed back on the downhill and flat.

The remainder of the race was run this way. I tried to take in fuel at each aid station, if I got queasy I took a thermolyte and ate something salty. I made many "friends" along the way. We would talk for a bit then part ways. There was a group of 4 or so large guys I was either in front of or behind for about 3 aid stations. I did not enjoy this because they would swarm the aid station and I could barely get a hand in. Part of my strategy was not to spend a lot of time at aid stations so waiting for a minute felt like an hour. I remember being at mile 31, Dugdales, and going to our drop bag, opening it up and realizing I didn't really need anything, I was wasting time. It suddenly occurred to me that I had not used the ladies room all day, and I should at least try to make sure I was not dehydrated. It was wonderful to have a real tissue to blow my nose instead of my shirt. Gross I know, but allergies made my nose run all day and it was getting raw. Besides, if you are behind someone when they do a snot-shot into the sun light, you will thank me for not being one of those runners. The droplets are dispersed for miles. When I came out I heard Andy say "Jack look who's here! He's been flying to try to catch you!" I think he was kidding, but it did make me notice how much time I had spent. I chatted for a second and told Jack to catch me on the uphill. I fully expected him to if he too did not dilly-dally at the aid station, but I never saw him again.
I did run into Andy before the next aid station and I asked him about cut off times. My Garmin battery died at mile 31 and I knew I was going slower than I wanted. He assured me that I was way ahead of the cut off and had plenty of time. I wanted to believe him, but I didn't fully trust he would be able to deliver bad news, so I pushed a little harder.
I spent a few miles following and playing pass with a younger girl. We talked for a bit and she told me that it was really a race to the final aid station. She said they would let you finish in 12 and a half hours as long as you made it to the final aid station at 47 miles before the cut-off. She said then we can crawl to the finish if we want. I didn't get her name, but I enjoyed following her for a while as she was a strong runner. I like to fall in behind someone when I can because I can let my mind relax and not think about pace. Unfortunately she started to slow and pulled off into the woods for a pit stop and I never saw her again. I think that it may be the same girl Jack ran into at the finish and pulled in because she was upset she may miss the cut off. (she made it!) I was feeling strong with about 6 or 7 miles to go, my breathing had recovered. My quads were screaming with every step, they felt swollen and heavy and being pulled from my leg each step. But this I could handle, as long as I could breath I pushed on. For a couple miles I had two men following me. They asked if I minded and told me I had a strong pace. I said I did not mind leading and if they wanted to pass to give a shout. I tried to take a sip of my camel back since this pace was making me very thirsty and nothing came out. I shifted it and played with the hose and tried again. I was completely empty. We came out of the trails to a road and stopped for a moment. The view was spectacular. The foliage was peaking, right then and there in the middle of the 50. The 2 men headed off toward the glorious view and quickly realized the trail went to the right. They asked if I wanted them to lead for a while and I said yes. I knew I had to slow my pace to make it another 2 miles to the final aid station without water. I was soooo thirsty, but I didn't want to tell them I was out for fear they would offer me some of theirs, and then there would be the awkwardness of my germaphobia. So I slowly fell back and paced myself to the next aid station. By the time I got there I was so thirsty, and the volunteer (I think her name is Joy?) was so helpful. She had been cheering me on here and there through out the race as "Go GMAA!" I was wearing my Green MT athletic association singlet. She helped open and fill my camel back and stuff it back into the pack, not an easy feat even if you aren't running 50 miles. She asked me if I ate and I said yes, and then offered me a GU and I almost hurled. I thanked them all and took off. She reminded me it was the last three miles and to enjoy it. The first of mile after leaving an aid station is tough for me, because I am trying to get my food to settle and I do not like to eat when I run (believe me, that is the only time!). During this mile 2 people passed me. I was running but not very fast. With a mile and a half left I found myself going down HARD and rolling through the dust. The two people that had passed me paused and asked if I was ok. I shouted "I'm good!" and tried to figure out which way was up. I got up and another woman in orange looked at me shrugged and said something incoherent and passed me. I started running again trying to figure out if she did not speak English, or was delirious, or maybe just couldn't think of the right way to say, "sorry about your luck, see ya!" I found my speed coming back, but after my digger I was feeling cautious. I caught up to the man in the light blue shirt and he pulled over to let me pass. I was not sure if I wanted to because there were bright pink XXXs (caution) on the trail but I figured if I was able I should go for it. I saw some encouraging signs and I had less than a mile to go. The 2 women that had passed me in the last 3 miles were in sight, so I turned it on and never looked back. There was one man between me and the finish, I did not want to pass him or race to the finish, but I was going too fast downhill to put on the brakes so I gave him a warning "Go, go go I'm right behind you!" He picked it up and sprinted to the finish in front of me and then we crossed and high fived. It was the best finish ever. My peeps were there waiting and steered me to the pizza. I showed them my battle wounds and we we watched for Jack, and suddenly I panicked, "WHAT TIME IS IT?"
I don't remember the answer but I had made the cut-off. My time turned out to be 11:41. We saw Andy come in and he said Jack was right behind him. Eric told Jack to slow down so he could get some pictures and I thought I was going to have a heart attack. He had about 6 minutes to spare before the 12 hour cut off and decided he was going to ham it up before crossing the finish. It's amazing how the sight of that finish line does give you the strength of ten Grinches!

1 comment: